[OE-core] [RFC] recipes-efl inside meta-oe or meta-efl next to meta-oe?

Graeme Gregory dp at xora.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 07:49:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:27:28AM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Have either of you ever tried to explain some of the concepts we're
> dealing with to people who aren't deeply engaged engineers?

Yes, everytime I apply for a new job/contract getting quite used to
explaining it.

> Having a model showing the kinds of things layers can do is extremely
> helpful in explaining the concept to people.
>
> Part of OE's problem and the number one complaint about it is that its
> hard to understand. If as I/others try and put things into terms that
> others can understand get undermined with this kind of response its just
> going to further the impression that OE is nice but never going to be
> useful in the real world.
>
> As for whether that diagram is practical, I actually believe it is in
> some cases, like the one I described above. Certainly not all but its
> worth trying to strive to simplify and make things fit simpler models
> if/when we can. If we don't even bother trying, there is no chance
> things will improve.

You miss my point, Joshua's email reads to me like "our goal is to make OE
like this diagram" which if true would cripple OE to being incredibly simple
and non flexible.

My vision of a seperated out OE is to seperate components out into logical
boxes. Ie the gnome box, the kde box, the xorg box. Then like we used to do
with our lego or mecheno sets. When we want to build something we know what
components we want so we select the boxes that contain those components.

Graeme