[OE-core] [RFC] recipes-efl inside meta-oe or meta-efl next to meta-oe?

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Thu Mar 24 10:00:05 UTC 2011

Op 24 mrt 2011, om 08:49 heeft Graeme Gregory het volgende geschreven:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:27:28AM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> Have either of you ever tried to explain some of the concepts we're
>> dealing with to people who aren't deeply engaged engineers?
>>
> Yes, everytime I apply for a new job/contract getting quite used to
> explaining it.
>
>> Having a model showing the kinds of things layers can do is extremely
>> helpful in explaining the concept to people.
>>
>> Part of OE's problem and the number one complaint about it is that its
>> hard to understand. If as I/others try and put things into terms that
>> others can understand get undermined with this kind of response its just
>> going to further the impression that OE is nice but never going to be
>> useful in the real world.
>>
>> As for whether that diagram is practical, I actually believe it is in
>> some cases, like the one I described above. Certainly not all but its
>> worth trying to strive to simplify and make things fit simpler models
>> if/when we can. If we don't even bother trying, there is no chance
>> things will improve.
>>

> You miss my point, Joshua's email reads to me like "our goal is to make OE
> like this diagram" which if true would cripple OE to being incredibly simple
> and non flexible.
>
> My vision of a seperated out OE is to seperate components out into logical
> boxes. Ie the gnome box, the kde box, the xorg box. Then like we used to do
> with our lego or mecheno sets. When we want to build something we know what
> components we want so we select the boxes that contain those components.

What I would like is to have a tool that can parse the READMEs and generate:

digraph depends {
    node [shape=plaintext]
meta_oe -> openembedded_core
meta_efl -> openembedded_core
meta_efl -> meta_oe
meta_angstrom -> openembedded_core
meta_angstrom -> meta_oe
angstrom_layers -> meta_angstrom
angstrom_layers -> meta_oe
angstrom_layers -> openembedded_core
}

Sample output:

http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/angstrom/layers.png

That for the layers I currently have configured

regards,

Koen