[OE-core] How does openembedded-core-contrib/master relate to openembedded-core/master?

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Wed May 11 17:45:28 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 19:22 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 14:37 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> >> how does the master branch of openembedded-core-contrib relate to the
> >> master branch of openembedded-core?
> >>
> >> Is -core-contrib tracking -core 1-to-1?
> >
> >> My first feature branch (likewise/gnuspe) was cloned from, branched,
> >> and pushes against openembedded-core-contrib, is that the correct
> >> approach?
> >
> > The pull request you sent looked fine. This only works if that master
> > branch is kept in sync with the main repo though.
> >
> which was exactly why I wrote this email. Thanks for confirming my concerns.
>

> So the safer way would be to create a feature branch on core-contrib,
> that however is (re)based on core.
>
> Should I clone core, then create a feature branch that I push to core-contrib?
> Should I clone core-contrib, then rebase against core, then create a
> feature branch that I push to core-contrib?

Yeah, the way to do this is with git remotes. A basic work-flow is as
follows:

$ git clone ssh://git@git.openembedded.net/openembedded-core
cd openembedded-core
$ git remote add contrib
ssh://git@git.openembedded.net/openembedded-core-contrib
$ git branch my-name/my-work
$ git checkout my-name/my-work
<some work and commits on my-name/my-work>
$ git push contrib my-name/my-work
$ ./scripts/create-pull-request -b my-name/my-work

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Poky_Contributions#Git_workflow

HTH,
Joshua
--