[OE-core] Getting started on creating a layer for OE-Core

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Thu Nov 24 17:18:37 UTC 2011

Op 24 nov. 2011, om 17:59 heeft Philip Balister het volgende geschreven:

> On 11/22/2011 12:59 PM, Ken Werner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently reading the OpenEmbedded User Manual and wondering what's
>> the best way to add a layer for the Linaro toolchain components (Linaro
>> GCC, Linaro GDB). This is my first time with OE. I just setup the
>> environment and started to build an image that targets qemuarm (bitbake
>> is still building). Any suggestions or general help is much appreciated.
>
> Can you comment on what you expect to get out of the Linaro toolchain layer?
>
> As had been noted here, OE already has some of the Linaro work in the
> toolchains. However, we have had issues with some patches so we can't
> run a "complete Linaro toolchain". (Toolchain guys, correct me if I am
> wrong)

There are 2 sets of problems:

1) OE-core needs to support more than just ARMv7 and up
2) Not every patch is an improvement

For 1) we need to add patches and sometimes take out patches. For 2) we usually remove the patch that breaks things, but sometimes we add a backport.

[..]

> So I see the point of a dedicated Linaro tool layer being an excellent
> vehicle for testing Linaro's work on a diverse set of machines to make
> life easier for people using Linaro's work on other architectures.

The exact same can be said by including most if not all linaro patches into the default toolchain. Having said that, a layer with 'pure' versions of the toolchain, uboot, kernel, etc as reference is a nice thing to have. But since we only have a finite amount of effort to spread around I'd advice working on OE-core instead of a seperate sandbox.

regards,

Koen