[OE-core] Getting started on creating a layer for OE-Core

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:00:08 UTC 2011

On (24/11/11 11:59), Philip Balister wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 12:59 PM, Ken Werner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently reading the OpenEmbedded User Manual and wondering what's
> > the best way to add a layer for the Linaro toolchain components (Linaro
> > GCC, Linaro GDB). This is my first time with OE. I just setup the
> > environment and started to build an image that targets qemuarm (bitbake
> > is still building). Any suggestions or general help is much appreciated.
>
> Can you comment on what you expect to get out of the Linaro toolchain layer?
>
> As had been noted here, OE already has some of the Linaro work in the
> toolchains. However, we have had issues with some patches so we can't
> run a "complete Linaro toolchain". (Toolchain guys, correct me if I am
> wrong)

thats correct more often some patches whcih work on arm dont work on
other architectures so the patcheses we cherry pick usually exclude such
regressing patches and its a bit of work to identify them
but on positive side the patches we take get tested on wider
architectures. Also we only take gcc patches no other components

> From my perspective, the Linaro work is great (I primarily use Cortex-A8
> devices), but my understanding is that due to Linaro's focus on advanced
> ARM processors, regressions for other architectures and older arms can
> occur.
>
> So I see the point of a dedicated Linaro tool layer being an excellent
> vehicle for testing Linaro's work on a diverse set of machines to make
> life easier for people using Linaro's work on other architectures.

linaro layer would be a good idea although I think from distro point of
view they would want a single toolchain doing all architectures and
still would want advantages of linaro work so if this layer takes care
of fixing toolchain for non arm architectures it will be a lot of value
to distros using OE

but as such having layer would be a good thing as well.

> Philip

-Khem