[OE-core] [RFC 1/2] gstreamer: sync packaging with OE .dev

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Fri Sep 16 11:06:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 12:00 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 12:19 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> > >
> > > It took all my restraint to not just reply with:
> > > """
> > > NAK
> > >
> > > <insert reason for NAK here, I can't be bothered to type it>
> > > """
> > >
> > > We've been around in a few circles with this. The problem is that if we
> > > apply this patch we have no clue which gst-plugin from the good, the bad
> > > and the ugly provides something you're after to include in an image.
> > > This results in bitbake being pretty clueless about whether a given
> > > build will succeed or not. In general I'm not a fan of having
> > > non-deterministic builds as they tend to annoy users.
> > >
> > > If this position isn't acceptable then we'll probably have to move to a
> > > situation where we list which plugins each of the packages builds and
> > > drop the dyanmic provides. That is a maintenance pain and I don't take
> > > that step lightly but I don't see any other options. I'm open to
> > > suggestions though.
> >
> > Something like:
> > http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-April/031739.html
> > http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-April/031740.html
> > ?
>
> Yes. I'd probably have written separate .inc files to simplify the
> script but I'm thinking along those lines. I'm not particularly happy
> about it but I don't see many other options.

Last time this issue came up we talked about simply merging the -good,
-bad and -base plugins into a single recipe (since there appears to be
no very compelling reason to keep them separate) and just leaving the
-ugly ones on their own.  That still seems to me as though it is the
best way of making a lot of that complexity just go away.  Then
something like Martin's script could be used to figure out the (mostly
static, with a bit of luck) split between -ugly and the rest.

p.