[OE-core] [RFC 1/2] gstreamer: sync packaging with OE .dev

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Sep 16 13:38:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 12:06 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 12:00 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:

> > > Something like:
> > > http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-April/031739.html
> > > http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-April/031740.html
> > > ?
> >
> > Yes. I'd probably have written separate .inc files to simplify the
> > script but I'm thinking along those lines. I'm not particularly happy
> > about it but I don't see many other options.
>
> Last time this issue came up we talked about simply merging the -good,
> -bad and -base plugins into a single recipe (since there appears to be
> no very compelling reason to keep them separate) and just leaving the
> -ugly ones on their own.  That still seems to me as though it is the
> best way of making a lot of that complexity just go away.  Then
> something like Martin's script could be used to figure out the (mostly
> static, with a bit of luck) split between -ugly and the rest.

When put like this it doesn't sound so attractive since you need the
scripts for ugly anyway. Keeping them separate does actually help build
time at least since the plugins are one of the last things to get built
and if merged, you also have to merge all the dependencies, compounding
the build time.