[OE-core] RPM and libmagic

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Sep 26 23:36:25 UTC 2011

On 9/26/11 7:05 PM, Saul Wold wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I recently found a problem with RPM and libmagic, specificly the rpmdeps
> command as it's used in package.bbclass. The issue being that it was not
> finding the correct magic.mgc file.  I notice that we wrap the other RPM
> commands, but not rpmdeps.

That is likely a bug.

> Additionally, as I have discovered the wrappers that we have in place
> currently does not define a MAGIC environment variable to correct the
> location.

Is the proper variable "MAGIC" or is it's something else?

> I know rpm and friends are an important part of OE packaging, so I
> wanted to check with you first about the correct location to set this,
> if we should use the MAGIC or pass a --define '%_rpmfc_magic_path ...'
> on the command line.

I believe the intention is to pass the _rpmfs_magic_path..  that patch can be
made up of other potential dynamic results.  If the wrapper is building up
_librpm (something like that), then we can use:

%_rpmfc_magic_path %{_rpmlib}/../../share/magic

Note about is ramblings, not actual code.. ;)

> Please advise, I know you are traveling, and I can implement the change
> once we figure out the correct approach.

Thanks..  if you need to call me +1-612-669-2612.