[OE-core] Adding TARGET_VECTOR

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Fri Sep 30 17:49:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/25/2011 7:35 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:
>>
>> We have some packages like flac that are aware of vectorization that may
>> or may not exist on a given processor.  I was wondering if adding something
>> like TARGET_VECTOR similar to TARGET_FPU made sense as a way for recipes to
>> decide on how to set various vectorization flags if needed.
>>
>> I was looking at this mostly from the PPC side in which we have:
>>
>> TARGET_VECTOR = "" /* processor has no vector hw */
>> TARGET_VECTOR = "altivec" /* processor has AltiVec support */
>> TARGET_VECTOR = "spe" /* processor has signal processing engine support */
>> TARGET_VECTOR = "vsx" /* processor has Vector-Scalar Extension */
>>

> is target vector a property of FPU itself or is it a separate processing
> unit in hardware.?

We have several powerpc cores each containing a different vector
features. We need a way to differentiate in the recipes between
different cores and decide to enable SPE, Altivec, etc to build the
package properly.

I've sort of gone the route of adding:

OVERRIDES := ":core_type"

And using that in recipes. But, I think we need a consensus on how we
want to handle this.

-M