[OE-core] Adding TARGET_VECTOR

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 20:05:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:49 AM, McClintock Matthew-B29882
<B29882 at freescale.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/25/2011 7:35 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:
>>>
>>> We have some packages like flac that are aware of vectorization that may
>>> or may not exist on a given processor.  I was wondering if adding something
>>> like TARGET_VECTOR similar to TARGET_FPU made sense as a way for recipes to
>>> decide on how to set various vectorization flags if needed.
>>>
>>> I was looking at this mostly from the PPC side in which we have:
>>>
>>> TARGET_VECTOR = "" /* processor has no vector hw */
>>> TARGET_VECTOR = "altivec" /* processor has AltiVec support */
>>> TARGET_VECTOR = "spe" /* processor has signal processing engine support */
>>> TARGET_VECTOR = "vsx" /* processor has Vector-Scalar Extension */
>>>

>> is target vector a property of FPU itself or is it a separate processing
>> unit in hardware.?
>
> We have several powerpc cores each containing a different vector
> features. We need a way to differentiate in the recipes between
> different cores and decide to enable SPE, Altivec, etc to build the
> package properly.
>
> I've sort of gone the route of adding:
>
> OVERRIDES := ":core_type"
>
> And using that in recipes. But, I think we need a consensus on how we
> want to handle this.

there is SOC_FAMILY thats used predominantly in TI chips that could be
of interest here.
but in this case I wanted to understand
if it is a feature of FPU or is it a separate unit, still not clear to me.