[OE-core] libpython2

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Apr 10 13:56:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Andreas Oberritter
<obi at opendreambox.org> wrote:
> "NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime libpython2 (python,
> python-nativesdk)
> NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match libpython2"
>
> That's because I'm building a recipe for a binary that RDEPENDS_${PN} on
> libpython2. So I added PREFERRED_PROVIDER_libpython2 = "python" to my
> disto.conf, but the warning cited above persists.
>
> python_2.7.2.bb contains:
>
> PACKAGES =+ "lib${BPN}2"
> BBCLASSEXTEND = "nativesdk"
>
> Shouldn't it rather create libpython2 and libpython2-nativesdk or
> something similar?
>
> What could be the reason for the warning to persist?

Because PREFERRED_PROVIDER_<some runtime provide> = "some recipe" is
invalid. PREFERRED_PROVIDER_ only ever operates against build time
dependencies. The runtime are worked out based on that. If you were to
set something like PREFERRED_PROVIDER_python = "python", it would
probably shut the warning up, as it would see that a preference exists
on a recipe that provides one of the runtime packages, and would
therefore know which to use. Having to rely on this sort of implicit
behavior rather than having a means of explicitly specifying runtime
preferences is a flaw in bitbake, in my opinion.
--
Christopher Larson