[OE-core] MIPS vs MIPS32 tunings -- summary and questions

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Apr 18 15:21:38 UTC 2012

On 4/18/12 9:37 AM, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> On 18.04.2012 14:45, Richard Purdie wrote:

>>> Did you look at the patch? Which default setting of
>>> SUPPORTED_EXTRA_ARCHS do you suggest?
>>
>> I did. I didn't say the above patch was a perfect solution.
>>
>>>   Do you think it's feasible to add
>>> every single downloadable arch to this variable? If a user of my distro
>>> decides to build it for some arm or x86 cpu, should he need to know
>>> which archs to add at this place?
>>
>> This is a place where the build system meets and interfaces with the
>> distro. No one policy in the build system is going to fit every distro's
>> needs, not should we ever aim to so.
>
> At least we should have defaults that actually work for someone. Now we
> don't and considering that distro-feed-configs.bb is the only place
> where PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS is actually used, this would be very easy to
> accomplish. Especially because it worked well by default before Mark
> broke it.

PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS is also used by Zypper, RPM configuration and other places.
  In those cases it is a full list of all available (and compatible) package
architecture types.

Coming from the RPM world, it seems very odd to me that a set of "extra_archs"
can not list well, extra compatible archs without causing an error.  I have no
idea how to reconcile this behavior, without making a package manager
distro-feed specific solution.  (For RPM we absolutely want the existing behavior.)

--Mark