[OE-core] MIPS vs MIPS32 tunings -- summary and questions

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 15:46:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:21:38AM -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 4/18/12 9:37 AM, Andreas Oberritter wrote:

> >> I did. I didn't say the above patch was a perfect solution.

> >> This is a place where the build system meets and interfaces with the
> >> distro. No one policy in the build system is going to fit every distro's
> >> needs, not should we ever aim to so.
> >
> > At least we should have defaults that actually work for someone. Now we
> > don't and considering that distro-feed-configs.bb is the only place
> > where PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS is actually used, this would be very easy to
> > accomplish. Especially because it worked well by default before Mark
> > broke it.
>
> PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS is also used by Zypper, RPM configuration and other places.
>   In those cases it is a full list of all available (and compatible) package
> architecture types.
>
> Coming from the RPM world, it seems very odd to me that a set of "extra_archs"
> can not list well, extra compatible archs without causing an error.  I have no
> idea how to reconcile this behavior, without making a package manager
> distro-feed specific solution.  (For RPM we absolutely want the existing behavior.)

The problem Andreas is seeing is not fatal AFAIK.. just couple (or a
lot) of 404 (Packages files not available) while doing opkg update is
not nice for end user.

Downloading many existing Packages files without any Package in it
is also suboptimal, but maybe good start.. so we can teach
meta/classes/package_ipk.bbclass:package_update_index_ipk() to create
Packages files not only for existing
ipkgarchs="${ALL_MULTILIB_PACKAGE_ARCHS} ${SDK_PACKAGE_ARCHS}"
but for all (replace "if [ -e $pkgdir/ ]; then" with something like
"if [ ! -e $pkgdir/ ]; then mkdir -p $pkgdir; fi")

Cheers,