[OE-core] Replacing Web in Sato with Midori

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:18:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 01:48:18PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 14:36 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:

> > > I feel very strongly that having a core layer with no way of
> > > demonstrating and testing it is a very bad idea. I haven't changed my
> > > mind about this and am very unlikely to. "How do you know it works?" is
> > > the question you ask about package upgrades for example.
> >
> > And does it need to be in the same layer?
> >
> > Why not test webkit-gtk from oe-core with midori from meta-oe layer?
> > Or meta-browser layer if meta-oe is too big for testing webkit-gtk.
>
> It needs to be in the same layer. The logistics of including sections of
> meta-oe or meta-browser on the autobuilder whilst trying to test things
> like "bitbake world" is not somewhere I want to go. The Yocto Project
> does not have the manpower at this point in time to increase test
> coverage to include meta-browser or meta-oe. If someone gives me access
> to a large team of engineers...

at least with webkit-efl/eve I usually see more issues in runtime then
build, so testing that "bitbake world" still builds something is very
far from "test coverage" for end users.

And to build only midori with meta-oe in another workspace with meta-oe
included (where you don't need to run "bitbake world") doesn't demand so
much more manpower. And someone should start midori probably in
some qemu* machine and try at least one http:// and https:// page to say
that webkit-gtk is test covered.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com