[OE-core] [RFC] Replacing chrpath with patchelf

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sat Aug 18 10:31:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 00:17 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a patchset that replaces use of chrpath with patchelf. Patchelf can
> resize the ELF headers to accomodate larger RPATHs
>
> The branch is posted here
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/patchelf
>
> Please test it out and let me know if you see any issues

chrpath is something we require users to install on the system they're
building on. The reason is that we need to relocate the native recipes
and you can't do that without chrpath. You can't build chrpath without
building a native recipe you need to stage to change its own RPATH.

Now there are a variety of ways we can deal with this but we need to
think it through.

At the very least such a change would need to adjust all the
documentation about the prerequisites.

I'm not actually sure we need to deal with larger RPATHs in the real
world either. There are some bugs we're finding now the call is failing
but they're not turning out to be due to that.