[OE-core] [RFC] Replacing chrpath with patchelf

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 17:15:13 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 00:17 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a patchset that replaces use of chrpath with patchelf. Patchelf can
>> resize the ELF headers to accomodate larger RPATHs
>>
>> The branch is posted here
>>
>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/patchelf
>>
>> Please test it out and let me know if you see any issues
>
> chrpath is something we require users to install on the system they're
> building on. The reason is that we need to relocate the native recipes
> and you can't do that without chrpath. You can't build chrpath without
> building a native recipe you need to stage to change its own RPATH.

so I figured. which now means you need to have patchelf on build host
preinstalled instead of chrpath.

> Now there are a variety of ways we can deal with this but we need to
> think it through.
>
> At the very least such a change would need to adjust all the
> documentation about the prerequisites.

Yes. I tried to document it through an elaborate message
from sanity.bbclass about prerequisites and needs documentation
adjustments yes.

> I'm not actually sure we need to deal with larger RPATHs in the real
> world either. There are some bugs we're finding now the call is failing
> but they're not turning out to be due to that.

you never know. It just lifts this limitation. We ship
chrpath-nativesdk as well and people can use it in different ways