[OE-core] libpng-1.5.13

Marko Lindqvist cazfi74 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:30:02 UTC 2012

On 6 December 2012 20:26, Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 12:40 PM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>>

>> First preparatory patch makes it easier to add multiple major versions of
>> libpng. You may choose to commit this one only.
>>
>> Second patch adds 1.5.13 recipe. This produces library named libpng15,
>> while
>> old 1.2.50 recipe produces libpng12. Some older programs (and their
>> recipes)
>> may fail to find newer library. So far I'm aware of one such case in
>> meta-openembedded; libsdl-image-1.2.10 needs update. I've already
>> submitted
>> patch for that one.
>>
> Overall, it's great to see the recipes updated, but we don't typically keep
> the older versions of recipes around.  So if you want to preserve the older
> version, it should be moved meta-oe.  The only case we keep older recipes is
> for License changes from GPLv2 -> GPLv3 where it makes sense.
>
> So, the request would be a v2 that also removes the 1.2.50 recipe.

 I wanted to keep 1.2.x as an option for a while in case someone needs
it for building something not yet compatible with 1.5.x (cleaned up
API).

 As requested, I'll make a simple patch to update from 1.2.50 to
1.5.13, but I'll leave it to you to decide if time is ready for such
an API changing update.

 - ML