[OE-core] libpng-1.5.13

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Sat Dec 8 22:43:26 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 10:26 AM, Saul Wold wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 12:40 PM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>>
>> First preparatory patch makes it easier to add multiple major versions of
>> libpng. You may choose to commit this one only.
>>
>> Second patch adds 1.5.13 recipe. This produces library named libpng15,
>> while
>> old 1.2.50 recipe produces libpng12. Some older programs (and their
>> recipes)
>> may fail to find newer library. So far I'm aware of one such case in
>> meta-openembedded; libsdl-image-1.2.10 needs update. I've already
>> submitted
>> patch for that one.
>>
> Overall, it's great to see the recipes updated, but we don't typically
> keep the older versions of recipes around.  So if you want to preserve
> the older version, it should be moved meta-oe.  The only case we keep
> older recipes is for License changes from GPLv2 -> GPLv3 where it makes
> sense.
>
> So, the request would be a v2 that also removes the 1.2.50 recipe.

libpng has an entry in upstream_tracking.inc with a
RECIPE_NO_UPDATE_REASON of "1.4.3 and later changes the API and breaks
libmatchbox. Sticking with the 1.2.x series instead"

So if libmatchbox now builds with 1.5, we can remove the 1.2.x recipe
for good. Otherwise we may need both versions, and need to ensure
libmatchbox will use 1.2.x if it still requires it.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project