[OE-core] [oe-commits] Joshua Lock : netbase: remove redundant assignments

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Feb 27 12:13:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 12:31 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Op 27 feb. 2012, om 11:33 heeft Martin Jansa het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:13:09PM +0000, git at git.openembedded.org wrote:
> >> Module: openembedded-core.git
> >> Branch: master
> >> Commit: c3d5800d2850a186f91b5a0db642aa5d1c20156b
> >>
> >> Author: Joshua Lock <josh at linux.intel.com>
> >> Date:   Tue Feb 21 17:46:44 2012 -0800
> >>
> >> netbase: remove redundant assignments
> >>
> >> There's no need to explicitly set PACKAGE_ARCH = MACHINE_ARCH, base.bbclass
> >> takes care of setting this value for us based on the interfaces for those
> >> machines being an OVERRIDE.
> >
> > do_install () {
> >        # Disable network manager on machines that commonly do NFS booting
> >        case "${MACHINE}" in
> >                "qemuarm" | "qemux86" | "qemux86-64" | "qemumips" | "qemuppc" )
> >
> > This causes do_install hash to depend on MACHINE variable for all MACHINEs,
> > so making whole recipe MACHINE_ARCH would be more effective then rebuilding
> > TARGET_ARCH package after every MACHINE switch.
>
> That whole bit needs to go into the specific nfs image recipe, not
> into the recipe. Unless we decide nfs is the one and only way to boot
> qemu machines.

Clearly the qemu machines boot on non-nfs setups just fine and the
comment is just a bit stale here.

For qemu we expect the IP address to be stable and consistent so we know
where to find it and we don't expect it to disappear. The problem was
that if network manager starts poking around the main ethernet
interface, anything can go wrong (e.g. random QA test failures if
networkmanager decided to change the interface at the wrong moment). We
therefore really do know better than network manager when it comes to
ethernet connectivity into our qemu images.

There are a few options here:

a) Whitelist the MACHINE variable in hashes apart from the qemu machines

b) Change the code to a do_install_append_qemu* which would mean the
hashes become stable.

c) Shove the information into a qemu specific package.

The trouble with c) before everyone decides its the best is how/when do
you include that package. It really needs to be present whenever network
manager is present. I don't want to end up with someone installing it
from feeds and getting different behaviour as it would be a nightmare to
debug.

d) We could also decide we don't care about network manager any more and
just delete this I guess since we default to connman now.