[OE-core] libs transition /usr/lib -> /lib questions

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Jan 6 15:59:33 UTC 2012

On 1/6/12 4:34 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 6 jan. 2012, om 11:09 heeft Martin Jansa het volgende geschreven:
>
>> FWIW today I've noticed that systemd is going other way around
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>
> And http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>
> I guess it's time to publish my angstrom branch doing that after the holidays :)

I respectfully disagree with both of the above URLs.

The root partition is still very useful as a "small" set of applications and
libraries required for booting.

Most systems these days contain a combined root and usr partition, which is
fine.  However, there are a lot of systems that I've worked on in the past and I
expect in the future that, root being a small R/O system is necessary.

initramfs can solve some problems, but introduces other issues.  Many of the
systems I've worked on simple don't have enough flash to be able to store the
bootloader, kernel and an initramfs [as well as other system items required by
the devices].  In this case a base rootfs makes the most sense.

So as I mentioned in my previous email -- there are really three options to
supporting this:

*) Move the libraries from /usr to /

*) Move the binaries from / to /usr

*) Reconfigure the binaries to no longer need the library in /usr

---

But with that said, we also should work on making it easier to generate an
initramfs that is capable of premounting all of the filesystems and doing other
actions for an "early boot" capability before handing off control to the real
system.  (And I do believe systemd is the future of initscripts within Linux and
OE-Core for the majority of non-simple systems!)

--Mark