[OE-core] libs transition /usr/lib -> /lib questions

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Jan 6 16:04:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/12 4:34 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>

>> Op 6 jan. 2012, om 11:09 heeft Martin Jansa het volgende geschreven:
>>
>>> FWIW today I've noticed that systemd is going other way around
>>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>>

>> And http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>>
>> I guess it's time to publish my angstrom branch doing that after the
>> holidays :)
>

> I respectfully disagree with both of the above URLs.
>
> The root partition is still very useful as a "small" set of applications and
> libraries required for booting.
>
> Most systems these days contain a combined root and usr partition, which is
> fine.  However, there are a lot of systems that I've worked on in the past
> and I expect in the future that, root being a small R/O system is necessary.
>
> initramfs can solve some problems, but introduces other issues.  Many of the
> systems I've worked on simple don't have enough flash to be able to store
> the bootloader, kernel and an initramfs [as well as other system items
> required by the devices].  In this case a base rootfs makes the most sense.

In my opinion, what's proposed in the two links is a good thing even
for embedded. Not that we'd use that structure necessarily, but
removing the usr vs non-usr separation for binaries and libs is a good
thing regardless. Putting /usr in the rootfs still would still work
fine, or you could drop usr entirely and move everything to / the way
micro does.
--
Christopher Larson