[OE-core] Buildhistory in action

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Thu Jan 19 14:59:32 UTC 2012

Op 19 jan. 2012, om 15:45 heeft Paul Eggleton het volgende geschreven:

> On Thursday 19 January 2012 15:37:38 Koen Kooi wrote:
>> If you want to see a longer history, have a look at
>> https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/buildhistory/commits/master, I've
>> been using it heavily today when working on udev 177 which changed its
>> default filesystem layout. One thing to keep in mind:
>>
>> $ du -hs /data/ssd/OE/buildhistory/
>> 548M	/data/ssd/OE/buildhistory/
>
> Hmm, I wouldn't have expected it to be quite that large, but I guess it
> depends what you're doing with it, and I'd imagine given the number of builds
> you run you probably stress it more than most (which is good :). In the end
> 500M is just a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of TMPDIR...
>
>> I keep it on an SSD to avoid needing to wait a few minutes after every
>> bitbake invocation.
>
> Good advice :) It's also worth noting it will noticeably increase the
> do_rootfs time (especially for RPM) and probably do_package as well.

The cloud9-image incremental build takes ~45 minutes with testlab and ~120 minutes with testlab + buildhistory. The base 45 minutes are ~10 minutes redoing the opkg indices (as reported earlier) and the rest is just mkfs.ext2 being stupid when it comes to using 4GB /dev/loopN files for images.

regards,

Koen