[OE-core] Avoid stripping of firmware files?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jan 26 13:55:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 14:00 +0100, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for my work on the dm8148-evm I got firmware files with the suffix
> ".xem3" from TI. I made a simple recipe to install those files in my
> image, but I ran into a bad problem:
>
> The firmware files I find in my image are different from the files i use
> in my recipe. No matter if I use "install" or just "cp" to copy the
> files to the destination.
>
> Looks like those files get stripped during packaging. Normally not a bad
> idea, but in this special case stripping the symbols makes the files
> dysfunctional.
>
> Is there a way to avoid stripping?

If its just a firmware recipe and there aren't other files that do need
to be stripped, you could set:

INHIBIT_PACKAGE_STRIP = "1"

We don't have a mechanism to exclude specific files at present but we
could probably do with adding one. The code that does stripping is in
package.bbclass if you haven't already found it.