[OE-core] [CONSOLIDATED PULL 16/19] tunearch/arm: Differentiate between thumb code generation and thumb capability

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:24:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:48 AM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 20:13 -0800, Saul Wold wrote:
>> We have diverged a bit from oe.dev where thumb in OVERRIDES meant
>> the code was being compiled in thumb mode. With tunearch this got
>> a different meaning where it meant that if a core is capable of
>> generating thumb code them we will have this in overrides. With this
>> patch I am trying to address the problem where 'thumbmode' in TUNE_FEATURES
>> means that code will be compiled in thumb mode by default and
>> 'thumb' is to denote that core is capable of thumb instruction set.
>
> So this patch is changing the meaning of the "thumb" override in
> oe-core, right?  Is that really a good idea?

yes see below it bridges the gap that was created with tune overhaul

> Also, I'm not quite sure I understand what the "thumb" tuning would be
> useful for when this patch is applied.  You seem to have removed most of
> the code which checks for "thumb" in TUNE_FEATURES which seems to leave
> it not doing anything very much.

it adds 't' or 't2' to package arch but it wont mean the package is
compiled in thumb
mode.

> Can you clarify what exactly is the problem that this patch is solving,
> what the old and new semantics of the overrides and tune flags are, and
> why it's an improvement?

recipes has used thumb override when they were being compiled in thumbmode
and not thumb enabled. Currently override gets added regardless of mode which
is not right. This is what it fixes there are few recipes in oe-core
which use this
override and plus helps in porting recipes from oe.dev which uses the override
as explained.