[OE-core] local.conf & bblayers.conf changes...

Rich Pixley rich.pixley at palm.com
Tue Jul 3 17:19:46 UTC 2012

On 7/3/12 10:01 , Saul Wold wrote:
> On 07/03/2012 09:42 AM, Rich Pixley wrote:
>> Where can I find a description of the recent changes and what I need to
>> do to bring my files back up to current?
>>
>> What were the incompatible changes?
>>
> For bblayers.conf, we bumped the version becase we moved the BBPATH
> initial setting into the bblayers.conf to ensure we dont accidently
> pickup things in . because of the way a :: was being parsed.  See
> this commit
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=5e3a61b40b7b697d83b41e7e247cd1f94eb7673c
>
> Not sure what you mean about local.conf, since I am not sure of your
> starting point.
Ok, so I *liked* having BBPATH be relative.  The alternative, using
absolute pathnames, means that you have to bolt absolute path names into
all of your binaries, all of your debug symbols, and all of your build
configurations.  This means that your binary sizes are greater, that
debug symbols are significantly greater and more difficult to configure
properly in your debuger, and that working directories cannot be moved
around or renamed without needing to manually force full rebuilds.  It
also means that some forms of file system checkpointing can't be used
since you can't rely on the build to be in the same place on the file
system every build.

I'll try to roll with the current plan, though.

In the current arrangement, I'm getting confusing messages about not
setting MACHINE, even though MACHINE is set in my local.conf.  I'm
guessing that means that the pathing is busted and it's not finding my
local.conf.  How is the initial configuration file found?  And which
configuration file is initial?  Is that "./conf/bblayers.conf"?  And if
so, does this mean that I need to put my other directory assignments
like TOPDIR and TMPDIR in bblayers.conf as well?  And if so, then what's
the logical distinction between bblayers.conf and local.conf at this
point if build policy needs to go into bblayers.conf?

--rich