[OE-core] isn't the check for a matching "meta" branch a bit too forgiving?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 03:35:22 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

Please cc me directly on these questions .. it's just by chance that I notice
these on the mailing list.

>   in kernel-yocto.bbclass, in do_kernel_checkout(), isn't this check:
>
>   git branch -a | grep -q ${KMETA}   <-- this check
>   if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>           echo "ERROR. The branch '${KMETA}' is required and was not"
>           echo "found. Ensure that the SRC_URI points to a valid linux-yocto"
>           ... snip ...
>
> for now, as long as KMETA always equals "meta", it's fine, but won't
> that "grep" also erroneously match longer strings of which ${KMETA} is
> simply a substring?

That's on purpose, multiple meta branches (substrings) used to be possible,
and will be re-enabled at some point.

>   at the very least, shouldn't that be "grep -qw ${KMETA}"?

For the same reason as above .. no. In theory it could trigger a false
positive, but
it hasn't to date and it leaves the door open for future extensions.
At the moment,
meta MUST be 'meta' anyway, something that I've already got changes queued to
address and make it more flexible.

Cheers,

Bruce

> rday
>
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

thee at its end"