[OE-core] static busybox?

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Tue Jul 31 19:36:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Stuart Yoder <b08248 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are doing some work with LXC (containers) and one of the templates
> is for busybox.  For LXC, the busybox package needs to be built statically and
> there is a config option for this.
>
> A couple possible approaches:
>
>    -create a new 'busybox_static' recipe that the lxc package
>     depends on that turns on the needed build options.   Pretty
>     straightforward, but now there are 2 variants of the busybox
>     package.

This would seem to work OK with RDEPENDS += "busybox-static" and just
adding the extra static bits for for the static version. It seems OK
except we would/could start to get lots of recipes like this.

>    -somehow propagate some configuration options through to
>     the standard busybox recipe so it turns on the config
>     option to build things statically.   Not sure how to
>     do this, and seems like it could get pretty messy.

Are there any mechanism that currently exist for this? We could turn
on a DISTRO_FEATURE if we knew we were going use lxc, but that's more
involved than just adding the lxc recipe and getting the right stuff
in the root file system.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the best approach here?

-M