[OE-core] static busybox?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Jul 31 20:01:10 UTC 2012

On 7/31/12 2:36 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Stuart Yoder <b08248 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We are doing some work with LXC (containers) and one of the templates
>> is for busybox.  For LXC, the busybox package needs to be built statically and
>> there is a config option for this.
>>
>> A couple possible approaches:
>>
>>     -create a new 'busybox_static' recipe that the lxc package
>>      depends on that turns on the needed build options.   Pretty
>>      straightforward, but now there are 2 variants of the busybox
>>      package.
>
> This would seem to work OK with RDEPENDS += "busybox-static" and just
> adding the extra static bits for for the static version. It seems OK
> except we would/could start to get lots of recipes like this.
>
>>     -somehow propagate some configuration options through to
>>      the standard busybox recipe so it turns on the config
>>      option to build things statically.   Not sure how to
>>      do this, and seems like it could get pretty messy.
>
> Are there any mechanism that currently exist for this? We could turn
> on a DISTRO_FEATURE if we knew we were going use lxc, but that's more
> involved than just adding the lxc recipe and getting the right stuff
> in the root file system.

Kernel config fragment mechanism is there and IMHO works well for something like
this, assuming configuration is using standard

FOO = value

# FOO is not set

kernel semantics....

> Does anyone else have any thoughts on the best approach here?

In this case, I don't think it's a distro feature, it's really a package
configuration option -- the assumption is the rest of the system isn't
statically linked.  (Our case was that we wanted a static busybox for an initrd...)