[OE-core] [RFC] Fetching single files

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Thu Jun 21 14:30:27 UTC 2012

Op 21 jun. 2012, om 16:01 heeft Burton, Ross het volgende geschreven:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at updating the webkit-gtk package to the latest
> upstream when I noticed that instead of just checking out the
> repository it checks out a selection of directories and includes in
> oe-core the essential top-level files.  I can see the rationale for
> this: a full checkout of webkit includes the full test suite and web
> site sources.
>
> However I'm not entirely keen on the package shipping the top-level
> files in oe-core, as that is asking for trouble.  One solution would
> be the ability to fetch a single file through the svn fetcher instead
> of a directory, which svn can do using "svn export" (checking out a
> file is an error).  This doens't bring any metadata along with it so
> it isn't actually a checkout that can be updated in the future, but
> for a single file I think this isn't a problem.
>
> In poky-contrib:ross/svn I've started implement a proof of concept on
> this.  So far using the singlefile=1 parameter the export logic is
> activated, the file is svn exported and stashed in the download
> directory, suitable renamed.  The next step is to hook this into the
> unpack stage so that the file gets renamed correctly on it's way to
> the workdir.
>
> But before I start looking at this I thought I'd mail the list and see
> if anyone has any comments.  So, anyone know of any problems, pitfalls
> or better solutions?

We didn't do single file fetches/checkouts in the past because it's a svn 1.6.x feature. I would be really happy if we declare that 1.6.x is the minimum we support. I would be even happier if we just fetch webkit (completely) from git :)

regards,

Koen