[OE-core] superfluous download locations in oe-core's bitbake.conf

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 14:38:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 03:24:23PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 14:34 +0100, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 June 2012 04:56:51 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   given that oe-core is defined as being a really minimal
> > > configuration with no extraneous cruft, there seems to be a number of
> > > unnecessary download locations in the shipped bitbake.conf, things
> > > like:
> > >
> > > ADOBE_MIRROR =
> > > FREEBSD_MIRROR =
> > >
> > > and so on.  obviously, they're not doing any harm but there seems to
> > > be little value in defining download locations that aren't used by
> > > anything actually in oe-core.
> >
> > These are present for largely historical reasons - namely in OE-Classic we had
> > a number of recipes needing this same mirror defined and it was deemed that it
> > was easier to edit it in one place if it needed to change. Some of them are
> > even completely useless now as the sites to which they point are now gone,
> > e.g. HANDHELDS_CVS.
> >
> > I think the way to approach this would be to just submit a patch removing the
> > more extraneous ones and see if anyone complains. Note that some of them that
> > aren't used in OE-Core might be used within meta-oe or other OE community
> > layers, so those might need to stay at least for the time being.
>
> Agreed, we should clean some of these up.
>
> I would also add that we do have things in OE-Core without direct users
> (at least by default), particularly things like classes but also
> variables. OE-Core is a collaboration and where it makes sense to have
> something defined in one location rather than in many, I'm not adverse
> to that. Some of the mirror definitions do fit into that category.

Is there easy way for layer to define additional MIRRORs with global
scope for layer? e.g. putting them layer.conf?

e.g. FREESMARTPHONE_GIT is used in few recipes in meta-oe and in many in
meta-fso layer and right now is only defined but not used in oe-core.

So moving FREESMARTPHONE_GIT definition from oe-core to meta-oe will add
aditional dependency on meta-oe, but still better then duplicating it in
both layer or even in many .inc files.

I don't see any harm from ADOBE_MIRROR/FREEBSD_MIRROR in oe-core (even
when not used).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com