[OE-core] superfluous download locations in oe-core's bitbake.conf

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jun 22 15:20:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Thursday 21 June 2012 04:56:51 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   given that oe-core is defined as being a really minimal
> > configuration with no extraneous cruft, there seems to be a number of
> > unnecessary download locations in the shipped bitbake.conf, things
> > like:
> >
> > ADOBE_MIRROR =
> > FREEBSD_MIRROR =
> >
> > and so on.  obviously, they're not doing any harm but there seems to
> > be little value in defining download locations that aren't used by
> > anything actually in oe-core.
>
> These are present for largely historical reasons - namely in
> OE-Classic we had a number of recipes needing this same mirror
> defined and it was deemed that it was easier to edit it in one place
> if it needed to change. Some of them are even completely useless now
> as the sites to which they point are now gone, e.g. HANDHELDS_CVS.
>
> I think the way to approach this would be to just submit a patch
> removing the more extraneous ones and see if anyone complains. Note
> that some of them that aren't used in OE-Core might be used within
> meta-oe or other OE community layers, so those might need to stay at
> least for the time being.

  i mentioned this bit of pedantry only because of the regular
incantation of, "does that really belong in oe-core?"  so to be
consistent, if it doesn't belong, it should be removed.

  if something in meta-openembedded or another layer needs a new
download location, it should provide it, one would think.  i don't
think oe-core should provide variables solely on the off chance that
something else might need it some day.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca