[OE-core] RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:15:11 UTC 2012

2012/3/1 Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net>:
>> * The user has to install kdelibsX-dev (X is either version 4 or 5)
>> since KDE (like Koen already stated) needs to execute KDE/Qt programs
>> that depend on the whole KDE stack again in a native flavor.
>
> Can we just build them natively and put them in the host sysroot?

Short answer: Yes but not with Qt-native from OE. Long answer:
For automoc4 this is no problem and meta-kde also got the recipe.

For the packages kconfig_compiler (needs libkdecore) and
makekdewidgets (needs libkdecore and libkdeui) it might work, as long
as the programs got their libraries.
Since building kdelibs native in OpenEmbedded would need a "full
featured" Qt-native and the other dependencies it would cause a lot
overhead.
Building libkdecore and kconfig_compiler alone works, but libkdeui
pulls "everything" else in.

The paths where KDE looks for the executables can be altered at the
kde4.inc file (see [1] )

>> About the current status:
>> The main dependency kdelibs builds but in do_package there is a
>> ominous QA error:
>> ERROR: QA Issue: kdelibs4 rdepends on kdelibs4-dev
>> Since this error message is important, it will not help (me) much to
>> resolve the error.
>> In other words is there any way to debug this?
>
> No testlab in oe-core, but buildhistory pretty much does the same: http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/the-testlab-strikes-again

Thanks, I will look into that.

[1] https://gitorious.org/openembedded-core-layers/meta-kde/blobs/ea8f4cbc56b985708c33230a981ae9169e7fb156/recipes/kde4.inc#line67

--