[OE-core] proper way to bounce between two (or more) build directories?

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Thu Mar 22 15:54:57 UTC 2012

>    haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and i know it's simple but i
> want to confirm this.
>
>    say i run oe-init-build-env to initialize a new project, part of the
> effect of that is to prepend the OE and bitbake related directories to
> PATH.  i work there for a while, then want to put that on hold to
> start a second build.
>
>    i rerun oe-init-build-env to set up that second build, which works
> fine but, unsurprisingly, that prepends the OE directories to my PATH
> *again* (but i really have no choice, it has to be done).
>
>    after a while, i want to go back to the first project.  am i
> expected to run oe-init-build-env yet again?  (prepending directories
> yet again?)

I would generally do my best to avoid working with multiple build areas
in the same terminal, and it's definitely not a case we test with.

>    as best i can tell, the only change i need to make in switching
> build directories is to reset the BUILDDIR env variable.  is that all
> that's necessary?  i don't see anything else in my environment that
> would have to be reset.

Compare your env before and after running the oe-init-build-env script,
then prepend something to unset the variables that were added.

If you want to submit a patch make the oe-init-build-env script
idempotent in this way, that could be useful.

cc: to Beth in case there's something weird we do with our autobuilder
environment that she would want to comment on.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project