[OE-core] adding a single package to an image -- what's the proper way?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Mar 28 11:06:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 March 2012 12:51:46 Marko Katić wrote:
> > I always use "bitbake -c clean -c cleansstate package" for that purpose.
>
> Firstly, cleansstate does a clean already, so no need to specify that as well.
>
> Secondly, images are always rebuilt so provided you comment out the
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append or whatever you have done to change the image
> contents, you can just build the image again and it will be rebuilt
> as it was before.

  i was testing the various solutions presented, and the first couple
worked just by changing the local.conf file (both adding and
removing), but the third using DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS didn't appear to
make a difference after i added the appropriate line to local.conf.

  if i add the line:

DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "sysfsutils"

do you know if this requires an explicit reconfiguration of some kind
to be picked up?  it's exactly these niggling details i'm trying to
clarify.

  oh, wait, a totally fresh build just finished with that line in my
local.conf, and that did *not* appear to add sysfsutils to my image,
so this section in the reference manual seems wrong:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage-localconf

about to summarize all of this on my wiki page.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca