[OE-core] adding a single package to an image -- what's the proper way?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Mar 28 11:11:49 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 28 March 2012 07:06:21 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 March 2012 12:51:46 Marko Katić wrote:
> > > I always use "bitbake -c clean -c cleansstate package" for that purpose.
> >
> > Firstly, cleansstate does a clean already, so no need to specify that as
> > well.
> >
> > Secondly, images are always rebuilt so provided you comment out the
> > IMAGE_INSTALL_append or whatever you have done to change the image
> > contents, you can just build the image again and it will be rebuilt
> > as it was before.
>
>   i was testing the various solutions presented, and the first couple
> worked just by changing the local.conf file (both adding and
> removing), but the third using DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS didn't appear to
> make a difference after i added the appropriate line to local.conf.
>
>   if i add the line:
>
> DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "sysfsutils"
>
> do you know if this requires an explicit reconfiguration of some kind
> to be picked up?  it's exactly these niggling details i'm trying to
> clarify.

Yes, it will. You would need to clean and rebuild task-base because unlike the
other methods the dependency gets built into a task package.

This is one of the reasons you should not use DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS from
local.conf - this is intended to be set from the distro configuration only.
Please don't recommend this to be modified from local.conf - stick to
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL (or IMAGE_INSTALL_append, if you must).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton