[OE-core] Fetch time optimization (svn : gcc/eglibc - git : linux-yocto)

Eric Bénard eric at eukrea.com
Fri Mar 30 15:24:40 UTC 2012

Le Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:12:44 +0100,
Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> a écrit :
> On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 10:50 +0200, Eric Bénard wrote:
> > the default configuration seems to fetch from source control systems
> > as I always see very long time to fetch gcc/eglibc/linux-yocto
> > (despite having a 2.2 MBytes/s downlink DSL line).
>
> If you're hitting the SCMs I can understand the frustration.

that's not a frustration, that's a feedback on the default
behaviour. But I agree with you that could be a frustration for someone
trying OE-core for the first time ;-)

> Try adding this to your configuration:
>
> PREMIRRORS = "\
> git://.*/.*   http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/ \n \
> svn://.*/.*   http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/ \n"
>
> and see if that helps the performance. It might be we consider making
> this the default for OE-Core although some people are nervous about
> doing this...

sure that will help : in my work setup I have my own mirrors configured
but here again, that's not what a new user will have and in that
case, I'm testing the plain default configuration to help finding bugs
or things to improve the release.

I think fetching from git or svn should not be the first thing to do in
recipes like gcc, eglibc, linux & co where we are based on a
stable released version : this doesn't bring real added value to the
user in OE context and this wastes bandwidth (a tbz2 kernel is around
75MB, a git one is around 600MB).

Eric