[OE-core] Fetch time optimization (svn : gcc/eglibc - git : linux-yocto)

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:49:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Eric Bénard <eric at eukrea.com> wrote:
> Le Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:12:44 +0100,
> Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> a écrit :
>> On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 10:50 +0200, Eric Bénard wrote:
>> > the default configuration seems to fetch from source control systems
>> > as I always see very long time to fetch gcc/eglibc/linux-yocto
>> > (despite having a 2.2 MBytes/s downlink DSL line).
>>
>> If you're hitting the SCMs I can understand the frustration.
>>
> that's not a frustration, that's a feedback on the default
> behaviour. But I agree with you that could be a frustration for someone
> trying OE-core for the first time ;-)
>
>> Try adding this to your configuration:
>>
>> PREMIRRORS = "\
>> git://.*/.*   http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/ \n \
>> svn://.*/.*   http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/ \n"
>>
>> and see if that helps the performance. It might be we consider making
>> this the default for OE-Core although some people are nervous about
>> doing this...
>>
> sure that will help : in my work setup I have my own mirrors configured
> but here again, that's not what a new user will have and in that
> case, I'm testing the plain default configuration to help finding bugs
> or things to improve the release.
>
> I think fetching from git or svn should not be the first thing to do in
> recipes like gcc, eglibc, linux & co where we are based on a
> stable released version : this doesn't bring real added value to the
> user in OE context and this wastes bandwidth (a tbz2 kernel is around

s/user/developer/ and there is value in having git history. I know we'd never do
without it in our shop.

I suggested shallow clones and some other options to Richard a few weeks
ago, or some other hybrid models. They all vary in terms of nastiness and
have some good and bad points.

But from a kernel guy's point of view, you definitely want to work
inside git, but
I can see from non-kernel point of view, build and boot is all that
really matters.

Cheers,

Bruce

> 75MB, a git one is around 600MB).