[OE-core] Fetch time optimization (svn : gcc/eglibc - git : linux-yocto)

Eric Bénard eric at eukrea.com
Fri Mar 30 16:17:52 UTC 2012

Le Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:02:24 +0100,
Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> a écrit :
> The linux-yocto kernel recipe heavily uses the SCM to do things so
> whilst it does have a higher download cost, it as adds value and is
> ultimately a maintainers choice too.

OK now that I've given a closer look at the linux-yocto recipes &
bbclass I understand better why you need it in that recipe and that
this recipe is heavily based on git's features.

> So whilst I hear what you're saying, I don't think we can change
> anything other than the PREMIRROR...

then maybe for the new users testing OE, having PREMIRRORs set in the
default configuration would be a great thing so that they don't believe
OE is a big slow beast just because they have to wait hours for git or
svn to fetch sources.

Eric