[OE-core] Fetch time optimization (svn : gcc/eglibc - git : linux-yocto)

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 17:33:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Eric Bénard <eric at eukrea.com> wrote:
> Le Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:02:24 +0100,
> Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> a écrit :
>> The linux-yocto kernel recipe heavily uses the SCM to do things so
>> whilst it does have a higher download cost, it as adds value and is
>> ultimately a maintainers choice too.
>>
> OK now that I've given a closer look at the linux-yocto recipes &
> bbclass I understand better why you need it in that recipe and that
> this recipe is heavily based on git's features.

There are alternatives that I'm going to be exploring going forward,
just nothing
that we can bring in during the stabilization cycle. The recipes manipulate git
and use it to construct what you build, they don't absolutely require a full
git history, so there are some potential savings to be had.

It just obviously limits flexibility if a derived recipe wants to merge branches
and histories to construct what is built. So having a simple/shallow history for
basic builds while not breaking more complex cases probably hits the sweet
spot.

Cheers,

Bruce

>> So whilst I hear what you're saying, I don't think we can change
>> anything other than the PREMIRROR...
>>
> then maybe for the new users testing OE, having PREMIRRORs set in the
> default configuration would be a great thing so that they don't believe
> OE is a big slow beast just because they have to wait hours for git or
> svn to fetch sources.
>
> Eric

thee at its end"