[OE-core] Fetch time optimization (svn : gcc/eglibc - git : linux-yocto)

Eric Bénard eric at eukrea.com
Fri Mar 30 18:36:09 UTC 2012

Le Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:33:05 -0400,
Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> a écrit :
> There are alternatives that I'm going to be exploring going forward,
> just nothing
> that we can bring in during the stabilization cycle. The recipes manipulate git
> and use it to construct what you build, they don't absolutely require a full
> git history, so there are some potential savings to be had.
>
> It just obviously limits flexibility if a derived recipe wants to merge branches
> and histories to construct what is built. So having a simple/shallow history for
> basic builds while not breaking more complex cases probably hits the sweet
> spot.

OK in the end all the slow download problems I met while testing oe-core
& qemuarm from scratch were due to a problem on the server hosting
yocto's git and mirror services (so setting PREMIRROR to use
yocto's mirror didn't improve the situation).
Now that this problem is fixed on the yocto server, the time to download
linux-yocto kernel went from 90-120 minutes down to 20-30 minutes
which seems more reasonnable !
So there was really a problem but I was not looking in the right
direction to fix it :-(

Eric