[OE-core] what is "packagegroup-core-nfs-server"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Nov 28 13:14:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Martin Jansa wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 07:58:45AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > It's defined in recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-nfs.bb
> > >
> > > The line
> > > PACKAGES = "${PN}-server"
> > > provides the key you are looking for.
> >
> >   a followup, for which i'm quite prepared to embarrass myself --
> > where is the "splash" package group defined?  i can see this in
> > image.bbclass:
> >
> > SPLASH ?= "psplash"
> > PACKAGE_GROUP_splash = "${SPLASH}"
> >
> > and numerous images add that "splash" package group.  but my first
> > impression was that any package would be defined under some
> > "packagegroups/" directory, and would necessarily need to "inherit
> > packagegroup".
> >
> >   so what am i missing?
>
> PACKAGE_GROUP_foo can be provided by any recipe, not only
> packagegroup-*

  ok, that's useful information that doesn't seem to be documented
anywhere (or is it?).

  however, if a regular recipe can be used as the basis for a package
group, would it not still have to contain "inherit packagegroup" to be
defined as a package group?  or can any regular recipe act as its own
package group?  i examined the "psplash" recipe and i saw nothing that
suggested it was available as a package group.

  i realize these are nitpicky questions but it's the sort of thing
someone's guaranteed to ask me at some point, so i want to nail it
down.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca