[OE-core] what is "packagegroup-core-nfs-server"?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 28 13:37:00 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 28 November 2012 08:14:44 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Martin Jansa wrote:

> > >   a followup, for which i'm quite prepared to embarrass myself --
> > >
> > > where is the "splash" package group defined?  i can see this in
> > > image.bbclass:
> > >
> > > SPLASH ?= "psplash"
> > > PACKAGE_GROUP_splash = "${SPLASH}"
> > >
> > > and numerous images add that "splash" package group.  but my first
> > > impression was that any package would be defined under some
> > > "packagegroups/" directory, and would necessarily need to "inherit
> > > packagegroup".
> > >
> > >   so what am i missing?
> >
> > PACKAGE_GROUP_foo can be provided by any recipe, not only
> > packagegroup-*
>
>   ok, that's useful information that doesn't seem to be documented
> anywhere (or is it?).
>
>   however, if a regular recipe can be used as the basis for a package
> group, would it not still have to contain "inherit packagegroup" to be
> defined as a package group?  or can any regular recipe act as its own
> package group?  i examined the "psplash" recipe and i saw nothing that
> suggested it was available as a package group.
>
>   i realize these are nitpicky questions but it's the sort of thing
> someone's guaranteed to ask me at some point, so i want to nail it
> down.

So the bit that might be missing here is that the PACKAGE_GROUP structure and
the packagegroup recipes/class are actually not really related, except that
the latter may be used to populate the former. "packagegroup" is the new name
for what used to be known as a "task" in versions before danny and much better
reflects what these recipes do. PACKAGE_GROUP_* actually came first as a way to
define items for IMAGE_FEATURES that map to one or more packages, and I'm not
sure the name choice was a particularly good one - I wonder if it would be
worth considering renaming it to something like IMAGE_FEATURE_PACKAGES in
order to avoid confusion, although obviously every rename like this has a cost
associated.

In any case, I would definitely recommend using the term "package group" to
refer to packagegroup recipes only, otherwise you're only likely to increase
people's level of confusion.

Cheers,
Paul

--