[OE-core] meta-cloud layer

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:25:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Richard Purdie <
richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 17:10 +0100, David Nyström wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm working on getting a minimal Yocto/oe-core based OpenStack setup
> > running with the meta-cloud layer, with bits and pieces "borrowed" from
> > the meta-xen layer.
>
> Great news!
>
> It might be worth growing meta-xen into a meta-virtualisation layer
> since kvm, openstack and xen all seem to be sharing a lot of pieces.
> This depends on the maintainers but it would seem to be logical rather
> than many small interdependent layers.

FWIW. I'd like to see this as well, and can contribute/help where possible.
was considering a meta-ovs (Open Virtualization Solutions), but if there are
already plans afoot for a meta-virtualization, then anything I did could be
pushed down keeping any other layers small.

In particular I'm keen to drive some common kernel configuration, and work
on consolidating kernel features in trees versus having a whole set of out
of
tree modules with better tie in's to userspace enabling features
dynamically.

So I'll keep an eye out for things as well and help where possible.

Cheers,

Bruce

> > Still in its infancy, and lots of stuff is still missing and/or not
> > working properly.
> >
> > Have a look if your interested, not much to see yet though.
> >
> > https://github.com/nysan/meta-cloud.git
> >
> > Any thoughts on floating layer ML:s, i.e. an ML for so called
> > "out-of-tree" layers ?  Or is the common thought that all new recipes
> > should eventually go into oe-core ?
>
> The Yocto Project has been using the Yocto list for that and
> OpenEmbedded has openembedded-devel. Its not expected for everything to
> end up in OE-Core, quite the opposite.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"