[OE-core] [RFC] OpenGL packaging/staging policy

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Tue Oct 23 08:37:07 UTC 2012

On 23/10/12 03:06, Daniel Stone wrote:
> What? You can't do that.  Well, you kinda can if you're using GLX and
> nothing else, maybe, sorta.  But the EGL and GL (ES) implementations
> are very heavily tied together and can't be used as independent works.
>  You can separate GLU, which we've already done.  I think you can
> split out the core of libgbm, but not the DRI plugin.  And that's
> about it.

I am well aware that GL stacks are closely tied together, and personally
would not advise anyone to mix and match. But please reread the original
email Ross sent explaining the Cedar Trail 'complex' situation. If Intel
want to use mesa GL and their PVR GLES1/2 / EGL binary bits together ...

Regardless what is done with the packaging, allowing only mesa to stage
dev files will break things. GL headers are not interchangeable, even if
all the implementers are well behaved (which is a big if), the
*platform.h files are allowed to be implementation specific and so have
to be staged by the actual platform GL stack.

Tomas