[OE-core] Removing netbase from an image

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Oct 30 10:22:16 UTC 2012

On 30 October 2012 10:17, Jack Mitchell <ml at communistcode.co.uk> wrote:
> I am attempting to remove netbase from a custom image. I would like to
> replace it with connman. I have added connman through EXTRA_IMAGE_INSTALL,
> however netbase is brought in via packagegroup-core-boot.bb which funnily
> enough has some very important features and I would like to keep.
>
> What would be the best way to make this replacement. Should I copy
> packagegroup-core-boot.bb and keep a local copy, while keeping it in sync
> manually? Alternatively, I notice quite a few packages in
> packagegroup-core-boot have a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_* define. Would it be worth
> having a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_network ?= "netbase" which could be overridden?

You don't want to remove netbase, you just want to remove the
/etc/network/interfaces file.  The rest of netbase is very important
to have.

Dig on the list and you'll find patches to split that file out but
they didn't get into 1.3.  Unless you're working against master and
willing to help get those patches tested and merged, the easy solution
is to use a .bbappend and ship an empty interfaces file
(meta-guacamayo does this if you want prior art).

Ross