[OE-core] Embed initramfs into kernel

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 15:06:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Yevhen Kyriukha <kirgene at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I was trying to build the kernel and I got the following error:
> Aborted dependency loops search after 10 matches.
>
> I copied core-image-minimal-initramfs and changed IMAGE_INSTALL:
> IMAGE_INSTALL = "initramfs-live-boot busybox udev base-passwd".
> Also I added
> INITRAMFS_IMAGE = "custom-initramfs"
> to my kernel recipe.
>
> As far as I understand initramfs image depends on the kernel that depends on
> initramfs image.

Correct. That's something that commonly happens in my experience. You can't have
anything in your dependency chain that causes that circular depend .. which is
what the boot tasks will pull in.

We are working to enhance / fix this in yocto 1.5, but for now, that
is the restriction.

Have you looked at: classes/image-live.bbclass ? Which is a current user of
core-image-minimal-initramfs and gets around the circular dependency problem.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Best regards,
> Yevhen
>

> 2013/4/22 Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Yevhen Kyriukha <kirgene at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I have a custom kernel recipe and initramfs image recipe.
>> > How can I embed initramfs into kernel?
>> > Is there any example available?
>>
>> The support is in oe-core, so checking the yocto docs is a good starting
>> point:
>>
>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/mega-manual/mega-manual.html
>>
>> And in particular:
>>
>> "core-image-minimal-initramfs: A core-image-minimal image that has the
>> Minimal RAM-based Initial Root Filesystem (initramfs) as part of the
>> kernel, which allows the system to find the first “init” program more
>> efficiently."
>>
>> There is also meta-initramfs:
>>
>> https://github.com/openembedded/meta-oe/tree/master/meta-initramfs
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>> > Best regards,
>> > Yevhen

>> --
>> "Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
>> thee at its end"

thee at its end"