[OE-core] appears to be inconsistency re: base-files between oe-core and meta-angstrom

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Aug 30 12:21:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 12:49 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 07:37 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   distroless. i realize i *could* set a value for DISTRO, but it would
> > > seem that i shouldn't have to in order to avoid a build error.
> >
> > Well, either you're using angstrom or you aren't.  If you do want
> > to use it then you ought to set DISTRO appropriately, and if you
> > don't want to use it then you probably oughtn't to have the
> > angstrom layer included at all.
> >
> > Trying to use the angstrom .bbappends and files with a different
> > (or no) distro configuration will give you a set of metadata
> > that's neither one thing nor the other and, even if you didn't get
> > a build error, there's no guarantee that the resulting image would
> > actually work.
>
> I'm not sure I agree. Ideally layers should be includable without
> turning on behaviour unless it is enabled. This is why we have
> things like an array of OVERRIDES to choose from.

  after i thought about it for a while, this is what i started to
believe as well -- i should be able to include various layers and let
them work it out amongst themselves the correct behaviour and bbappend
processing and so on.

  the reason i selected the layers i did in my example was that i
wanted to build cutting-edge components for my beaglebone black and,
as i read it, this required me to use oe-core, meta-angstom and
meta-ti (among other things). and as you saw, oe-core and
meta-angstrom didn't play well together WRT base-files.

  anyway, i'll let folks higher up the food chain ponder on this.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca