[OE-core] RFC: external toolchain recipes in OE-Core

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Dec 2 16:18:52 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Currently we have an external-sourcery-toolchain recipe in OE-Core; one of the
main reasons we have it there is as an example of how to create a working
external toolchain recipe for those that need to create their own. Since the
creation of the meta-sourcery layer however, this recipe has been left largely
unmaintained. Even assuming nobody tries to use it as-is with the CodeSourcery
toolchain, without testing and maintenance the recipe can bitrot (and has
broken as a result of changes elsewhere in OE-Core), and thus any external
toolchain recipe created based upon it may end up not working either. We need
to come up with a plan for what to do with this recipe - here are some
possibilities:

A) Keep it in OE-Core and ensure it is tested and maintained

B) Remove it and just point to meta-sourcery as a maintained and working
example of how to write an external toolchain recipe

C) Replace it with a less concrete example recipe in meta-skeleton that we
maintain going forward

What do people think?

Cheers,
Paul