[OE-core] RFC: external toolchain recipes in OE-Core

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 16:28:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 04:18:52PM +0000, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently we have an external-sourcery-toolchain recipe in OE-Core; one of the
> main reasons we have it there is as an example of how to create a working
> external toolchain recipe for those that need to create their own. Since the
> creation of the meta-sourcery layer however, this recipe has been left largely
> unmaintained. Even assuming nobody tries to use it as-is with the CodeSourcery
> toolchain, without testing and maintenance the recipe can bitrot (and has
> broken as a result of changes elsewhere in OE-Core), and thus any external
> toolchain recipe created based upon it may end up not working either. We need
> to come up with a plan for what to do with this recipe - here are some
> possibilities:
>
> A) Keep it in OE-Core and ensure it is tested and maintained
>
> B) Remove it and just point to meta-sourcery as a maintained and working
> example of how to write an external toolchain recipe

This looks best to me. Maybe with another link to external linaro
toochain which is probably used by many people and to show that it's
just an example and recipes for external toolchain + tcmode need to be
adjusted to specific toolchain.

> C) Replace it with a less concrete example recipe in meta-skeleton that we
> maintain going forward

I fear that less concrete example will bitrot even faster and won't be
easy to test and fix without creating concrete recipe from it.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com