[OE-core] RFE: make the init manager an image feature (again)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Mon Feb 18 10:17:01 UTC 2013

Martin Jansa <martin.jansa-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:

>> On the specifics of the do_install_append, you've seen my comments
>> about how we're not learning from past mistakes with the way the
>> do_install in the class was written. I note Phil also agreed with
>> them, both of us remembering some of the horrors we've dealt with in
>> the past (and binconfig.bbclass is still around, sadly).
>
> But it doesn't need to be as dangerous as binconfig.bbclass, because
> we already list .service or .socket files in SYSTEMD_SERVICE so we can
> improve that "find" call

Why is 'find' required at all?  afaik, only files from $SRC_URI are
affected.  So we can

1. create an (overridable) SYSTEMD_EXTRA_SERVICES variable

2. fill this variable in systemd.bbclass with .service, .target, .socket
   + .mount files from $SRC_URI

3. modify systemd's do_install so that files above are copied after
   doing some some sanity checks (e.g. checks that no previous version
   from 'make install' exists or that it are really systemd files).

Enrico